Re: NRC PROPOSES $6,000 FINE AGAINST ST. JOSEPH MERCY HOSPITAL INMICHIGANFOR OVEREXPOSURE TO A MEMBER OF THE PUBLIC

Although the $6k fine is symbolic, at best, I doubt that it's the end of the story.

I would not be surprised if there is civil litigation that will, win or lose, cost

the licensee big $$.

It would be insane to pull a license on a first violation, unless there were special

circumstances, such as strong evidence that it was willful.  I see no indication of

willfulness. Pulling the license would hurt a lot of people, including me, who is

required to use this hospital by my HMO.

BTW, I've met the RSO in question, and know this person to be competent and

conscientious.  This could happen to any one of us.  Be on guard!  If your employer,

coworkers, or a member of the public asks you to violate requirements, don't be a

"team player" and go along.  They won't back you up if something goes wrong.

It's not about dose, it's about trust.

Curies forever.

Bill Lipton

liptonw@dteenergy.com