Re:

The concept that every individual should be allowed to make his own risk versus

benefit decision, even if it violates accepted standards (i.e., the regulations) is

questionable, at best.  I doubt that the daughter could truly make an informed risk

versus benefit decision, especially under those emotional circumstances.

This reminds me of my experience at a previous employer.  I inspected a scientist's

lab, finding numerous problems.  When I reviewed them with the scientist, he stated

that he would accept full responsibility if anything went wrong, and in the meantime,

he did not want to hear from me.

Shortly after that conversation, he did something that was truly stupid, even by his

standards, causing a serious accident.  He then sued the employer for making him work

under such dangerous conditions!

I think you'd have the same experience if you allowed members of the public to give

their "informed" consent for exceeding established dose limits.

It's not about dose, it's about trust.

Curies forever.

Bill Lipton

liptonw@dteenergy.com