Re: Fwd: Re: respiratory tract dose

I was going to try to stay out of his as I am an RSO and a former/still

"meter swinger", but I just really can't stand the elitism I see cropping

up its ugly head again.  I do not understand the presumption that health

physics is a field that is so specialized and mystical that you have to be

a CHP to understand and practice it.

I used to joke IH's as being even more nerdly than HP's but after watching

my friend study for and pass the CIH exam first try, I have a great deal

more respect for them.  Let me ask this:  How many asbestos, hearing

conservation and toxicology questions did you have to answer on the CHP

exam?  How many questions about industrial safety, confined space and

indoor air quality did you have to answer?  My guess is zero.  Both the CIH

and CSP exam have questions about health physics on them.  Oh yeah, and the

hazards they deal with actually kill people, not in some abstract

estimation of cancer incidence but in real-time call the medical examiner

kinds of ways.  Don't trivialize their PROFESSION by implying that he can't

do his job because he's looking for some help in finding formulas.

As far as RSO's go, if you are an employer and you have a few radioactive

sources which require you to have an RSO, why would you go hire a CHP, when

you could hire someone who could do more than worry about your trivial

sources?  By many peoples eyes on this list I am sure that I would not

appear qualified to be an RSO, but the fact is that traditional health

physics is only about 10 percent of my job, I also run the laser and

nonionizing radiation programs here.  I certainly don't remember learning

how to do MPE calculations and  formulate safety plans for airborne high

energy laser systems in any of my health physics classes.  An RSO has to

know enough to do the job he has been hired to do.  I don't care if my

doctor knows everything about neurosurgery if I am seeing him for a

migraine.  I just need him to be able to treat what I have.

This whole thread has just reiterated the old saying "there are no stupid

questions, only stupid answers."

Kim Merritt

Radiation/Laser Safety Officer

HazMed, Inc.