Fwd: Re: respiratory tract dose

>>> James Blute 05/14/03 03:56PM >>>

Bill,

I gotta throw in my 2 cents.  I am responding directly to you because

RADSAFE still isnt getting my posts for a reason I haven't figured out

yet.

I want to protect my turf too.  But never at the expense of denying

another individual the right to go through the appropriate hoops to get

into the HP business.  I think it is perfectly reasonable for an IH

person to get into HP.  Starting out at a small college or University

seems quite appropriate to me.  There are much lower risks by comparison

than facilities such as Nuc Power, Source Production, DOE, etc.  So I

don't think you should tool on someone like this  so harshly and in

public.  I am going to assume that Kevin touched a nerve in you and you

overreacted to the specific situation to make a more general point.  I

urge you to redirect your point to a more specific audience.

The problem (IMO) with this specific request and many other related

issues is not that this person is trying to do the calcs as expected by

the regulator.  If there is a problem - it is with the regulator.  No

one on this list has presented evidence that Kevin is not qualified

(just thrown around opinions).  However, the fact that he is the RSO is

evidence that the regulator has approved his qualifications.

Furthermore, the calculation that he is performing is being submitted to

the regulator for review and approval.

Kevin is not the bad guy.  Kevin is doing his job appropriately.

RADSAFERS who help Kevin out are not bad guys.

If this calc should be done by a CHP, then shame on the regulator for

not requiring that.

If Kevin is not qualified, then shame on the regulator for approving

his qualifications.

OR - Perhaps the regulator knows what we don't which is that Kevin is

qualified to be the RSO at his facility due to the relative level of

risk there - his past experience, and that the someone in the license

approval office is perfectly qualified to review his application to make

sure he is doing a good job.  WE DON'T KNOW.

I like that you are banging the drums to protect our HP turf - but I

think it is misdirected.  If every RSO (qualified or otherwise) had

everything they needed to do their job - we wouldn't need RADSAFE in the

first place.  Our profession and worker safety is best served if RADSAFE

is a free exchange of ideas and knowledge.  Making sure that someone is

qualified to be an RSO is a regulatory function last I checked.  If you

think the regulator made a mistake here because you see CIH instead of

CHP next to someones name, then focus your attention on the regulator,

not good guys and gals on RADSAFE trying to help a fellow RSO out.

I guess that was a bit more than 2 cents.  Sure hope I didn't misspell

anything (truthfully - I don't mind if did).

Jim Blute  CHP

PS post to RADSAFE for me if you like.

>>> William V Lipton <liptonw@DTEENERGY.COM> 05/14/03 12:57PM >>>

Your view that all it takes to be an hp is "formulas and references" is

truly

dangerous.

I have plenty of industrial hygiene "formulas and references"

available, but I

would not presume to act as an industrial hygienist.  If the problem

were

straightforward, I might prepare a draft for review by a qualified ih,

but

nothing further.

I have nothing personal against "Kevin, buddy," and understand that his

employer

may be  too cheap to do the right thing.  Nevertheless, that does not

justify

his performance of a licensing basis determination outside of his

competence.

There is something called our obligation to protect the public.

As you put it, "Unbelievable !!!"

It's not about dose, it's about trust.

Curies forever.

Bill Lipton

liptonw@dteenergy.com

"Mercado, Don" wrote:

> He wasn't asking you to do the work for him, just supply the formulas

and

> references to him and he'd do the work! Are you so unsure of your own

skills

> and knowledge that you can't even do that????

radsafe" (no quote marks) in the body of the e-mail, with no subject

line.

This transmission contains information which may be confidential and

which may also be privileged. It is intended for the named addressee

only. Unless you are the named addressee, or authorised to receive it

on behalf of the addressee you may not copy or use it, or disclose it

to anyone else. If you have received this transmission in error please

contact the sender. Thank you for your cooperation.

For more information about AEA Technology QSA, Inc. please visit

our website at http://www.aeat-qsa.com