Re: Our legal system

May 16

	Bill Lipton wrote, "Whether you think that our legal system is

'disreputable' is totally irrelevant.  We still have to live with it,

follow applicable laws and regulations,  and take reasonable actions to

protect ourselves."

	Jerry Cohen replied, "You have nicely described the prevailing sentiment

in Germany during the 1930's. Were that the case in the USA during the 50's

& 60's we might still have segregation. Bad laws and policies can be

changed. Hopefully, future radsafe people will be able to disdainfully look

back at what was the 'ALARA period'."

	Why are you picking on Germany at any particular period?  This has

undoubtedly been the prevailing sentiment in many countries at many times

-- perhaps even behind the Iron Curtain.  In fact it seems to be the

prevailing sentiment in some circles today in the U. S. of A.  Look at how

people fall into line for recycling and a goodly portion of the whole Green

movement.  I mowed my "lawn" this morning because I received a threatening

letter from the weed and litter goon squad.  I guess I subscribe to the

prevailing sentiment too (of falling into line).

	More to the point -- correct me if I have misconstrued you, Bill -- I

think what Bill meant was that we are obligated to comply with whatever

laws or regulations are in force.  I am certain Bill never meant to say

that once in force laws or regulations can never be repealed or revoked.

For example, we are obligated to pay taxes.  That does not mean we can not

or should not work for lower taxes.  I have personally known left-wing

extremists who loved complying with the prevailing sentiment when it came

to paying taxes.  (Of course they never volunteered to pay mine . . . .)

Steven Dapra

sjd@swcp.com