Re: DU in Iraq

Hi all:

According to several references, the crustal average of Uranium is about 2.5

mg/kg [2.5 ppm]. Since the land area of Iraq is 432,162 sq.km this equals 4.32E+

18 cc to a depth of 1 meter. At an average density of soil of 1.6 gm/cc the mass

of this first meter of surface would be:

6.9E18 gm which would contain 1.72E13 gm of Uranium = 1.72E10 kg of Uranium =

1.7E7 metric tons Uranium in the first meter of Iraq surface area. To a depth of

the first 0.3 meters only, this estimate would equate to 5.1E6 metric tons

uranium vs. Bjorns derived estimate below of 0.6E6 metric tons, about 8.5 times

less. Does Iraq's surface area have uranium at the crustal average of 2.5 ppm? No

idea but it's a good starting point for a crude estimate of total uranium in the

surface layer of the country.

Since our good friend Norm Cohen in an earlier post stated a rough estimate of

military action in Iraq having scattered 75 tons of depleted uranium rounds in

Iraq, by my estimate derived above the uranium content of Iraq's surface one

meter of soil will have been increased by an average of less than 0.0004 percent

on average.

Stewart Farber

farbersa@optonline.net