Risks and their avoidance

There has been a lot of discussion of the relative merits of one risk over

another on this list.

At the suggestion of one of the members of this list, I'm starting to read

"Breaking the Vicious Circle: Toward Effective Risk Regulation" by Justice

Stephen Breyer.

As I started to read this he shows the percentages of risk of death per

100,000 (I think) population, and being hit by lightning is very low.

However, one of the things you learn early on are all of the procedures to

protect yourself from being hit by lightning. If you're holding a metal

umbrella on the top of a hill during an electrical storm, your odds

certainly increase.

Of course, dying by an infrequent event is binary for the individual who

dies. It's 1 or 0. There are no percentages. Percentages apply across the

entire population. One of my goals in life is NOT to be a statistic nor to

have my children be statistics.

Yes, we can certainly go too far in spending oodles of money to save little

risk, but education on risk avoidance, research into risk avoidance, and

low cost expenditures to "be safe" are all very helpful towards individuals

who do not want to become one of the "rare" statistics.

Now, I am not sure that being cautious and conservative actually puts more

of a risk of death by lightning (for example) onto others in the same way

that having a burglar alarm decreases your chances of being burglarized at

the expense of your neighbor who doesn't have the alarm.

So we can talk all we want to about overall statistics, but not becoming

one of the statistics is based in education and common sense.

For example, I have smoke and heat detectors throughout my home. I have a

carbon monoxide detector in my bedroom. I've spent less than $1000 on this,

and it's that much because it's centrally wired (for the

smoke/heat/intrusion/panic system).

And yes, prudence (who is that lady, anyway?) demanded that I run a

canister radon test when I moved into my home here almost 20 years ago. I

think it was $30. No appreciable risk. Oh, and I measure 14µR on a G-M

counter as background. Now that is slightly over-the-top paranoia, but

obtaining that type of instrumentation was my response to dirty bomb scares.

So, once we can measure the risk and have inexpensive sentinels watching

out for us, ready to chirp or howl at the slightest provocation, our

likelihood of becoming one of the statistics is reduced. Not eliminated.

Reduced.

How can we get society to take responsibility on a personal level? In

California we have a warning almost every where (I think it's Prop 65,

Barbara?) that says "this business uses stuff that is known to the state of

California as a carcinogen" or something equally scary. So, I mean this is

on my parking garage at the office. What do I do? Not park? Walk to work

and inhale the same stuff on the street? Puleeze!

Education is key--and that's a life-long process.

Cheers,

Richard