Navajo and mining colors

I believe that the writer in mentioning the "yellow dust" was referring to

the uranium dust in general that would have been spread around during

previous mining operations. I too have traveled the SW and have seen the

color of the setting sun. Regardless of the actual color of the dirt and

sunsets, it should be noted and respected that many Navajo miners made the

ultimate sacrifice in mining these materials. Just because uranium ore was/is

there, and we like to make use of this ore in many forms, does it make it OK

to defile another's environment? Should we be minimizing the exposures and

health consequence to these workers? This message is being written to the

list from Niagara Falls, New York--where one knows from environmental

degradation. Niagara Falls, New York, was the largest uranium metal

production center from 1942 through 1953 (and beyond). Over one million

pounds of "waste" U metal has been buried in the vicinity of the Falls and is

still not fully accounted for.

Oh well, I should save a line or two for the next commentator.

These comments do not reflect those of my employer.

Sincerely,

Louis Ricciuti, researcher