Tailings sands blew like crazy from tailings piles, the wind in NM in the spring is incredible.  Some owners took better care than others, I have seen visible sands blow miles up and downwind from some facilities.  That said, the radiological hazard from this is minimal at most.  Thousands of tons of H2SO4 were used PER DAY in mill circuits, it stinks downwind.  Tailings sands are white, not yellow.  H2SO4 residues from evaporation ponds are yellow, green, and a variety of other colors, and are very fine.

The Moab tailings pile is visible from the road into canyonlands NP, after entering the park, although I believe it's outside the park boundaries. It's on the north end of town, very close to the river (100's of meters).

Brian Rees

At 10:48 PM 5/20/2003 +0200, Franz Schoenhofer wrote:

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: RuthWeiner@aol.com [mailto:RuthWeiner@aol.com]
Gesendet: Dienstag, 20. Mai 2003 04:56
An: franz.schoenhofer@chello.at; radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu
Betreff: Re: AW: [Fwd: [Know_Nukes] (NYT) Navajo Miners Battle a Deadly Legacy of Yell...

Very  good information about everything concerning uranium can be found at http://www.antenna.nl/wise/uranium. It is part of an obviously antinuclear site, but they have an excellent collection of legislation, news, facts and bring a lot of topics which seem to me very reasonable. Anyway it is of a refreshing clearness of language and anybody will enjoy it, when checking before the sites of Greenpeace and similar groups. It is very late in Austria, so I have not checked the topics raised on Radsafe concerning uranium mining.

Several points:

Solution mining is now done instead of "hard rock" mining, but mining is still done.

You are quite right about yellowcake.  It is produced from uranium ore at Portsmouth, OH (and maybe at Oak ridge) but not anywhere near the Navajo reservation.

Moab actually sits very near Indian lands.

It is the Ute tribe, so it is not Navajo land.

  It is sort of in the middle of Canyonlands Nationalo Park.

I respectfully disagree. Canyonlands National Park is close to Moab, as is Arches National Park. The southeastern part of Utah, between the borders to Arizona and Colorado, Lake Powell, the Green river and road # 70 (it might be an interstate) is called Utah's Canyonlands.

Best regards

Franz
************************************************************************ You are currently subscribed to the Radsafe mailing list. To unsubscribe, send an e-mail to Majordomo@list.vanderbilt.edu Put the text "unsubscribe radsafe" (no quote marks) in the body of the e-mail, with no subject line. You can view the Radsafe archives at http://www.vanderbilt.edu/radsafe/