Re: NRC PROPOSES $6,000 FINE AGAINST ST. JOSEPH MERCY HOSPITALINMICHIGAN FOR OVEREXPOSURE TO A MEMBER OF THE PUBLIC

I suggest that you read the full inspection report (Inspection Report No. 030-1997/2002001(DNMS)), that is referenced in the NOV.

It is available on ADAMS.  The hospital did appeal the violation.  The letter of appeal is attached to the inspection report. In

that letter, the hospital places virtually all of the blame on the RSO.  Here are some quotes:  "The former RSO's failure to

promptly investigate and take corrective action was quickly corrected by management..."   "It is also significant that the former

RSO's failure to immediately investigate and take corrective action did not result in any harm to the pubic or the the NRC..."

Two things to note:  (1) It's the former RSO.  Any hospital RSO out there who is thinking about being  "compassionate" by violating

regulations should keep in mind that your employer may choose not to support your decision, especially if they receive a NOV.  (2)

I'm not sure what the hospital means by "...harm ... to the NRC..."

It's not about dose, it's about trust.

Curies forever.

Bill Lipton

liptonw@dteenergy.com