Re: AW: [Fwd: [Know_Nukes] (NYT) Navajo Miners Battle a Deadly Legacyof Yell...

On Mon, 19 May 2003, Otto G. Raabe wrote:

> If my memory serves me right, there was a uranium ore processing mill near

> Grants, NM, in the 1960's. Does anyone else remember a uranium mill in New

> Mexico?

	--I visited an ore processing mill near Grants, NM in the 1980s.

It is my understanding that it is normal to have an ore processing mill

near mines because the vast majority of the material mined is not uranium

(in NM, much less than 1%), so transportation is minimized if the uranium

is separated out nearby. The mills produce yellow cake. U3 O8, which costs

about $10 per pound, so it is economical to send it to plants far away for

conversion to U F6 which is used in isotope separation.