RE: radiography - deja vu all over again

Bill, typical industrial radiography sources are 100 to 120 curies brand

new. 4 times the curie strength will result in 4 times the exposure. I must

argue with the contention that they were "lucky" to be using 26 curies.

Lucky for the health of the radiographer? Or lucky because they now don't

have to deal with the regulatory consequences of an overexposure? Off the

limited information here, you can already determine 4 or 5 violations. Texas

BRC regulations are as stringent or more stringent than NRC regulations. The

requirement for an alarming ratemeter also exists in Texas.(25 TAC

289.255(q)(2)(A)(iii)). Hopefully, once the Texas BRC gets done with them,

they will no longer feel "lucky".

Scott A. Kvasnicka (scott.kvasnicka@conaminsp.com)