AW: Tooth fairy inspired law suit

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----

Von: owner-radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu

[mailto:owner-radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu]Im Auftrag von Sandy Perle

Gesendet: Dienstag, 20. Mai 2003 19:54

An: John Jacobus; radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu

Betreff: Re: Tooth fairy inspired law suit

On 20 May 2003 at 8:30, John Jacobus wrote:

> I am always fascinated when you have a cancer cluster of one person.

Where are the others to do an epidemiological study?

Hi John,

While I agree that this lawsuit is frivolous, there does appear to be

a higher incidence of these cancers in around the St.Lucie area. The

state and local government agencies have studied these cancers,

trying to look for a causal relationship, which they have not found.

So, while I don't agree with their conclusion (it's always easier to

go after the nuclear plant), there have been a higher number of

unexpected cancers in the area.

Probably I am extremely naive, but:

I would expect that you find higher numbers of unexpected cancers in an

area, you may find higher numbers of traffic accidents, you may find higher

numbers of suicides in an area, higher number of household accidents in an

area.... and you will find lower numbers of unexpected cancers in another

area, lower numbers of traffic accidents........... How could you ever end

up in mean numbers, if there were not higher and lower ones??? And if you

cannot find any causal relationship, isn't that the best argument for what I

just wrote?

Anybody to explain , what is wrong in my reasoning?

Franz