Uranium in GW correlations w/ Radon, etc.

Hey all,

I'm a toxicologist with the Env. Tox. Program in the Maine Bur. of Health.  In Maine we have a problem with U in well water - not a horrible problem overall - maybe a few percent of wells above 20-30 ug/l, but what makes my palms sweat is the occasional wells in the 2,000+ ppb range.  We know that kidney tox is the issue (altho you do get some cancer risk at these high concentrations - especially when you take into account disequilibrium).  (Obviously, we tell them to take corrective actions).

But what I want to look into is correlations between U and radon or radium in well water (I should say this is a little bit academic - we have a radon issue in Maine as well - our recommendation is that everyone do a radon test, there doesn't seem to be a lot of radium in wellwater in Maine).  While I'm waiting for our in house data to appear, I thought I'd ask the collective wisdom in radsafe land.  I haven't found a lot in the literature that suggests decent correlations (it really seems to depend a lot on local geology, etc.). Do any of you have any direct experience or opinions?  In particular, I'm more interested in correlations between U and radium in GW at these higher levels.  Thoughts?

Thanks,
Eric

Eric Frohmberg
Toxicologist