Re: Manhattan Project Legacy

Unfortunately, the problem is more than a "legacy" from the MED.  I recommend a story in the June 2, 2003, "Wall Street Journal."  It seems that the Air Force has been burying radioactive waste from nuclear weapons maintenance activities at the bases where they performed them, but does not have reasonably complete records of what was buried or where!  Some of these bases have been closed and released to the public.  Some even have new development over suspected waste burial sites!  They're now going around the country trying to find and characterize the stuff.

Oops, here I go, again.  Antinuke sentiment is obviously the result of a media conspiracy; I should know that.

It's not about dose, it's about trust.
Curies forever.

Bill Lipton
liptonw@dteenergy.com

"Read, Jacques" wrote:

For some reason DOE refers to the remains left by the Manhattan Engineer District as "legacies," and the long campaign of finding and clearing up the mess left behind by tracking all the uranium and thorium that flowed through the vast system the project created as "linking legacies."   The website for this is  www.legacystory.apps.doe.gov  .  Electro Met of NY is only one of 25 uranium processors used in the late forties by MED and AEC, and by no means the largest.

For those interested, a great deal of MED and AEC history can be found on the DOE websites, and is easily searchable.

Jacques Read