Steve, Jacques

Just a couple of answers to previously posted questions--rhetorical or not.

>From Jacques-
>For some reason DOE refers to the remains left by the Manhattan Engineer
>District as "legacies," and the long campaign of finding and clearing up the
>mess left behind by tracking all the uranium and thorium that flowed through
>the vast system the project created as "linking legacies."  The website for
>this is www.legacystory.apps.doe.gov .  Electro Met of NY is only one of
>25 uranium processors used in the late forties by MED and AEC, and by no
>means the largest.
>For those interested, a great deal of MED and AEC history can be found on
>the DOE websites, and is easily searchable.
>Jacques Read

"Legacy" refers to anything left behind personally or from a past era. It fits.

Someone had to take the lead in U production. There was heightened fervor to create, create, create and since at least one official DOE reference is made to UCC-Electromet in Niagara Falls, New York, as being the largest production center, what am I to think about other officially posted references?  You-V-DOE?
Isn't DOE "Linking Legacies" "linked" to the DOE Openness Site?

I have searched the URL you give quite thoroughly. I may even have the site in its entirety archived as I do much of my Internet reading material. Unfortunately, you have not given a specific reference to any physical production location as being one way or another with regard to quantities of materials produced.
Someone give me some actual avoirdupois.

Thank you for your interest and comments though.

>Where was this finding
>published?  I would prefer a reference (or several) to refereed journals,
>not to articles in the popular press.
And
>I also endorse Barbara Hamrick's observation (about disease incidence)
>that your comments "would have more validity if a link to the actual study
>were provided".

I have looked for the report and or link from the Health Resources and Services Administration. I have not yet been able to find it myself. HOWEVER, I don't need the actual citation as I have taken into account that this was not "popular press" as you state, rather, my quotes left at RADSAFE stem from three (3) separate and diverse news sources (including a Buffet). If I can't take the word of a US Senator, a hospital president, a Mayo trained cardiologist and the owner of GEICO Insurance, then shame on me for being so naive or presumptuous.
I encourage you to contact
Dr. Michael E. Merhige, a Mayo Clinic-trained cardiologist who recently joined the staff at Niagara Falls Memorial.

At
(716)-278-4000
Perhaps you would like to argue his certificate of need...

And lastly--
>As I said in my earlier posting, I would give Gofman some credence if he
>could show us elevated levels of heart disease in miners, uranium mill
>workers, or workers in gaseous diffusion plants.  They were undoubtedly
>exposed to much more radioactivity that anyone has been exposed to from
>buried uranium near Niagara Falls, or anywhere else.  I would like to see
>you address this point, NN.

Well, well--isn't that a plate full? I thank you for this cornucopia of thought.
A. I don't know the entire body of Gofman's work.
B. I don't know that studies were ever done by anyone for miners or mill workers in the cardiac realm.
C. "Buried" (my use with quotes) is relative--to numbers of people involved, exposures, locations, and ironically, "Openness." Or, in this case, not so.
D. I address this point by stating that the original posting was directed to an audience that I THOUGHT would participate in some form of discourse as to the possibility of cause(s), exposures, materials used in the Niagara area, a little history, interest and or concern for human health and so forth.
What is it that is done over there at RADSAFE anyway?

Sooo--according to the above logic string, then I can conclude that this professional bulletin board known as RADSAFE --supports wholly, solely, only and to the man and or woman, that there are no deleterious health effects from exposures to long term low level radiation exposures(?) That doesn't make sense, dose it...<:8)

Regards,
L.H. Ricciuti
NiagaraNet@aol.com

Diversity of opinion-
"IT'S Not always about the Does--There is a lot to be said for trust and sometimes it's about the Bucks."