DOT Emergency Response Phone Number

I'm sure it's a coincidence, but one day after my posting on the DOT,

Emergency Response Telephone Number, DOT/RSPA published a proposed

change to 40 CFR 172.604, among other things, in the "Federal

Register."  (June 11, 2003, pages 34880 - 34897).  This proposed change

to 172.604(a)(2) explicitly states that, "A telephone number that

requires a call back (such as an answering service, answering machine or

beeper device) does not meet the requirements of paragrah (a) of this

section..."  This is really nothing new; it just incorporates previous

letters of interpretation into the regulations.

There are several other proposed changes, which shippers should review.

The deadline for comments is August 11, 2003.

It's not about dose, it's about trust.

Curies forever.

Bill Lipton

liptonw@dteenergy.com