Mutual Understanding and radiation issues. Was: RE: Radiationas religion TRUE BELEIVERS AND PREACHING TO AND AT THE CHOIR

Dear Radsafers:

Mutual understanding and other's point of view is a 'two-way' street.

In my self-admitted, very limited, anecdotal experiences addressing

radiological issues in public forums, I have had excellent success in

reaching common ground with those in opposition when they too were willing

to understand and empathize a world view different than their own.

It has also been the case that many contacts I've had (rather equally

represented on both sides of the issues, by the way) simply did not want to

bother with facts, laws of physics, or legitimately held personal

motivations.

Both sides of controversy must find common ground and mutual respect before

meaningful communication can ensue.

David Hall

Emergency Management Operations

Nevada Site Office

National Nuclear Security Administration

US Department of Energy

Please apply disclaimer of choice here.

As Dave Derenzo [mailto:dave@UIC.EDU] said:

<snip>

Arguments like this will never be settled until

we try to understand the other person's point of view and their frame

reference.

******* Only after mutual understanding is reached can common ground be

explored.  *******

<snip>