From: Kim D. Merritt [mailto:k.merritt@larc.nasa.gov]
Sent: Friday, June 13, 2003 7:14 AM
To: radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu
Subject: Re: Useful Equations, Formulae, and Constants

Despite the numerous PhD's and self professed geniuses on this list, I have not seen any actual help arrive yet.  Am I the only poor soul who has to cover the entire electromagnetic spectrum in my job?

Q=AV.  It is a ventilation equation.  Flow rate (Q) = Area (A) x Velocity(V).  It is an equation any Industrial Hygiene Technician would know.  I guess most HP's don't do a lot of field work where they would have to figure out the flow rate through something, say for instance a fume hood.  I'm not poking fun at you for asking, I'm just amazed that no one seems to have been able to get this right yet.

As for the UV equation, I have not had to use it (despite being the Nonionizing Radiation Safety Officer), and frankly hope I don't have to.   You use it for determining effective irradiance from a broadband UV source.  The terms are: Eeff = effective irradiance relative to a monochromatic source at 270nm in W/cm2.  Elambda =Spectral irradiance in W/cm2. S = relative spectral effectivness (constant for each wavelength).  Delta lambda  = bandwidth in nm.You can look in the back of the ACGIH BEI&TLV handbook for a (rather poor) description of it's use.

I am not sure what you mean by RF relationships.  Again the ACGIGH handbook has a section on RF or you can go to the IEEE standard for more detail.  I could not locate any use of "Ga". Perhaps they are referring to Gain which is normally expresses as G (units are dB).  Gain is a numerical value assigned to an antenna that is a relationship between the size of the antenna, the wavelength it transmits and its efficiency.  In brief: How many wavelengths long is your antenna? Look here for more (http://www.marcspages.co.uk/tech/antgain.htm).

Good luck on the test.  Maybe someday I will finish my degree and take it.