RE: The Puskin Paper on radon and smoking

Hi All,

Let's face it, from a scientific point of view Puskin's

paper does not prove anything (Sorry, Jerry!). I find it

also very strange that there is no reference to the paper

of Whittemore and McMillan on the mechanism of interaction

[Whittemore, A.S., and A. McMillan. "Lung Cancer Mortality

among U.S. Uranium Miners: A reappraisal." J. Natl. Cancer

Inst. 71, 489-499 (1983)].  I published a confirmation of

their analysis when I used their data to test my formalism

of interaction between the effects of two toxic agents [F.

A. Seiler,"Analysis of Health or Systemic Effects Caused by

Two Toxicants," Environment International,13,459-467,1987].

How can you guys go back and forth about smoking effects in

radon exposure and lung cancer without considering the

mechanism of interaction at all ?!?! So, there are at least

two references on the mechanism in the open literature and

THEY AGREE!  So, let's get with it!!

	In addition, I find this "ring around the rosie" game

about Jerry's paper rather silly! What no one on either side

has stated yet, and PLEASE do so in no uncertain terms, is

what his data or his analysis of the data can be used for. I

have always thought that the purpose of epidemiology was to

provide data for a risk assessment.  So what kind of risk

assessment are you guys working on?  Or is this all a purely

Academic Ivory Tower chewing of the cud?

	When my kids were a lot younger, they sometimes used to

have a fight over what the fight was all about.  I used to be

amused about it.  But you are not little kids any more, so it

isn't quite amusing.  Well, can somebody let me in on the big

secret and tell me what this discussion can be used for?

Have a nice Father's Day weekend,

Fritz

PS.   One thing I do know and that is what Bernie's data

	are good for. Joe and I said so in:

	Seiler, F.A., and J.L. Alvarez, "Is the 'Ecological

	Fallacy' a Fallacy?" Hum. Ecol. Risk Assess., 6,

	921-941, 2000.

Fritz A. Seiler, Ph.D.

Sigma Five Consulting:          Private:

P.O. Box 1709                   P.O. Box 437

Los Lunas, NM 87031             Tome', NM 87060

Tel.:     505-866-5193          Tel. 505-866-6976

Fax:      505-866-5197