From: William V Lipton [mailto:liptonw@DTEENERGY.COM]
Sent: Monday, June 16, 2003 8:20 AM
To: Wesley
Cc: 'Les Aldrich'; epirad@mchsi.com; radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu
Subject: Re: Cohen's Observation

I'll have to agree with Les on this one.  If this were, "...the most enlightening discussion ever on Radsafe," I would have unsubscribed a long time, ago.  Also, I fail to see how, "...the LNT debate is fundamental to the current practice of radiation safety and its ultimate resolution will affect us all."  Exactly what difference would it make?

For what it's worth, I have 2 observations:

1.  Whatever the merits of the various positions or the importance of this debate, if any, this seems to have degenerated into a contest of egos, rather than of science.

2.  Even if the LNT issue were important, it's not going to be proven or disproven by epidemiology.  While epidemiology can be used to show associations between parameters (e.g., radiation exposure versus cancer incidence), it does not prove cause and effect.  The observed association could be due to some other, unstudied parameter.  If there is ever a resolution of this debate, it will have to come from a breakthrough in our understanding of the mechanisms of radiation carcinogenesis.

In the meantime, all of those interested in this perpetual cluster should get together in the nearest phone booth (an exaggeration, I'll admit, but only a small one) or establish their own listserv.

It's not about dose, it's about trust.
Curies forever.

Bill Lipton
liptonw@dteenergy.com

Wesley wrote:

Les and All,

The current debate among Cohen, Field (epirad) and others is probably the most enlightening discussion ever on Radsafe. Of course it will not get resolved here, but I for one have learned a bit of epidemiology.

More importantly, the LNT debate is fundamental to the current practice of radiation safety and its ultimate resolution will affect us all.

Please keep the discussion on Radsafe so that we can all learn and benefit.  I wish more Radsafers would have the courage of Cohen and Field to post their opinions and knowledge rather than "go offline".

Best regards,

Wes

Wesley R. Van Pelt, PhD, CIH, CHP

Wesley R. Van Pelt Associates, Inc.