Re: OLD Portsmouth Shipyard Study -History

Hi all:

In the original Boston Globe 1976 "Spotlight Team" agenda science expose based

entirely on the technical analysis of Dr. Najarian [who may be a decent physician

but is/was a lousy epidemiologist] the "Radiation Workers [again based on

recollections of next of kin] supposedly had a 10 fold higher risk of dying of

leukemia [if memory serves me right] than those workers who were not in the Globe

"Non-Radiation Worker" group.

The later study funded by NIOSH conducted by Matanoski [discussed widely on

Radsafe] found the claims by Najarian to be unsubstantiated. There did appear to

be a slight excess of leukemia, primarily associated with organic solvent use

[including benzene] by shipyard workers.

Stewart Farber, MSPH