Re: Radon and Lung Cancer: What the studies really say.

> People living in counties that have high average radon concentrations

> have fewer lung cancers than people living in counties where the average

> radon concentration is lower do.

Oversimplified or not, it is a statement of fact. I said that, for this

thread, I wanted to assume that the relevant adjustments and stratifications

have been done correctly, so that we can avoid going in circles.

I have yet to see a case control study that supports LNT that is internally

consistent and where the data supports the authors' conclusion, but that is

an issue for another thread.

Kai

> People living in counties that have high average radon concentrations

> have fewer lung cancers than people living in counties where the average

> radon concentration is lower do.

> ------------------------

> This is huge oversimplification of the Cohen's data and has no

relationship to

> the risk posed to residential radon exposure.

> It can also be stated that -

> People who live in high radon counties smoke less etc, etc.

> Until the inter county variability of smoking and correlated factors are

> adjusted for, these generalizations are meaningless.

> > Friends,

> > We are all aware that ecological studies, in general, have some

limitations.

> > Similarly, many of the case control studies have some very specific

> > problems. Both of these issues have been discussed (some would say ad

> > infinitum) on this board and elsewhere.

> > For this thread, I'd like to assume that the authors of both types of

study

> > know their craft and are able to collect data and make some very basic

> > adjustments and stratifications. The studies then tell us:

> > 1. People living in counties that have high average radon concentrations

> > have fewer lung cancers than people living in counties where the average

> > radon concentration is lower do.

> > 2. People who had high cumulative radon exposures in the past have more

lung

> > cancers than people who have been exposed less do.

> > Some people have stated that the conclusions that follow from these

> > statements cannot both be right. Clearly, this is wrong. There is

probably

> > an infinite number of dose response functions that are consistent with

both

> > observations. None of these functions requires the presence of hidden

> > confounders. The obvious one that I can think of is:

> > --> High radon in your own house is bad for you and high radon in your

> > neighbor's house is good for you.

> > Radon in your own house represents chronic exposure and high radon in

your

> > own house will result in a high cumulative exposure. On the other hand,

you

> > are only exposed to the radon in your neighbor's house for a few hours

at a

> > time.

> > Is there any reason why we should assume that the beneficial effects of

> > radiation exposure are dependent on cumulative dose? Can anyone name a

> > beneficial agent where the amount of benefit is related to cumulative

dose

> > alone? Other beneficial stressors (e.g. exercise) deliver their benefit

most

> > effectively if the stressor is applied for a short time and is followed

by a