RE: Dukelows LNT comments

Gary Howard,

Thank you, but it's Mr. Dukelow (or Jim Dukelow) to you and to everybody else.

A couple of comments.

Cohen's use of the counties data to test the linear no-threshold hypothesis is consistent with statistical hypothesis testing in general and with reigning paradigm of the scientific method, developed by Karl Popper.  The paradigm holds that a theory or hypothesis is only considered to be a scientific theory if it is falsifiable -- that is, if it is possible to devise an experiment or collect a data set that is capable of contradicting the predictions of the theory.  That is exactly what Cohen has done with the counties data.  Precisely because the linear no-threshold hypothesis posits a LINEAR relationship between aggregate exposure and health consequences, an ecological data set is adequate to test the theory, if concerns about confounding and dependencies between various variables can be adequately treated.  I tend to believe that Cohen has done that, although I continue to try to keep up with the anti-Cohen cottage industry.

Regarding epidemiology and epidemiologists.  I think the practice of epidemiology has some serious problems.  My initial concerns were mostly related to the abuse of data dredging -- running perhaps 400 tests of hypothesis on a large data set and then being SHOCKED, SHOCKED to discover 10 statistically significant positive results (at the 5% significance level), when the expected number of spurious positive results from random variation alone in the samples is 20.  What is even more striking is that some prominent epidemiologists (Rothman, in particular) defend the practice with an argument equivalent to a prosecutor telling a jury that they shouldn't worry about proof beyond a reasonable doubt, since if the defendant were not guilty as sin, we wouldn't be prosecuting him.

You might find interesting an extended debate on the practice of epidemiology between Alvan Feinstein and about a half-dozen "establishment" epidemiologists.  References are:

Feinstein, Scientific standards in epidemiologic studies of the menace of daily life, Science, 1988, v. 242, pp. 1257-63

Savitz et al., Scientific Standards of Criticism: A Reaction to "Scientific standards in epidemiologic studies of the menace of daily life," by A.R. Feinstein, Epidemiology, 1990, v. 1, no. 1, pp. 78-83.

Vandenbroucke, How Trustworthy is Epidemiologic Research?, Epidemiology, 1990, v. 1, no. 1, pp. 83-84.

Weiss, Scientific Standards in Epidemiologic Studies, Epidemiology, 1990, v. 1, no. 1, pp. 85-86.

Feinstein, Scientific News and Epidemiologic Editorials, Epidemiology, 1990, v. 1, no. 2, pp. 170-180.

Savitz and Kelsey, Response to Feinstein, Epidemiology, v. 2, no. 1, pp. 61-63.

Greenland, Science versus Advocacy: The Challenge of Dr Feinstein, Epidemiology, 1991, v. 2, no. 1, pp. 64-72.

Feinstein, Reprise and Lyrics for Another Chorus, Epidemiology, 1991, v. 2, no. 1, pp. 72-76.

Also interesting is Rothman's paper:

Rothman, No Adjustments are Needed for Multiple Comparisons, Epidemiology, 1990, v. 1, no. 1, pp. 43-46.

As lawyers would say, in Latin, of course, The Thing Speaks for Itself.

Best regards.

Jim Dukelow

Pacific Northwest National Laboratory

Richland, WA

jim.dukelow@pnl.gov

These comments are mine and have not been reviewed and/or approved by my management or by the U.S. Department of Energy.