Sent: Friday, June 20, 2003 3:55 AM
Subject: Iternat.transport regs - WHAT's 'low toxicity'?

Dear Radsafers,

You help would be greatly appreciated on the following.  International (IAEA) Transport regs say (in para 241 (a) (i)):

241. Surface contaminated object (SCO) shall mean a solid object which is not itself radioactive but which has radioactive material distributed on its surfaces. SCO shall be in one of two groups:

(a) SCO-I: A solid object on which:

(i) the non-fixed contamination on the accessible surface averaged over 300 cm2 (or the area of the surface if less than 300 cm2) does not exceed 4 Bq/cm2 for beta and gamma emitters and low toxicity alpha emitters, or 0.4 Bq/cm2 for all other alpha emitters; and

Now, where Im getting lost is WHAT the low toxicity alpha emitters’…  Do we have a list somewhere ? I am actually after the info which limit would apply for things contaminated with natural thorium, but am interested in the bigger picture as well.

Kind regards

Nick Tsurikov

Eneabba, Western Australia

http://eneabba.net/

NOTICE - Mail attachments have been compressed automatically and appear as .ZIP files. Should you be unable to access compressed attachments free compression software (e.g FreeZip) is readily available from the Internet.

This message and any attached files may contain information that is confidential and/or subject of legal privileged intended only for use by the intended recipient. If you are not the intended recipient or the person responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, be advised that you have received this message in error and that any dissemination, copying or use of this message or attachment is strictly forbidden, as is the disclosure of the information therein. If you have received this message in error please notify the sender immediately and delete the message. All care has been taken to ensure that this message and any attachments are virus free. No responsibility is accepted for any virus infections caused by receipt of this message.