RE: LNT and resources [Was: Scientific responsibility]

Ted,

I hear a lot of comments about what we would save.  I

am looking for concrete examples as opposed to open

ended statements like "we are wasting resources."  I

think that in many cases this is a visceral feeling

without content.  Does D&D cost that exorbinant

compared to toxic waste clean-up? For new

constructions, does shielding add significant (which

is obviously subjective term) cost?   Do you have any

example of the charge:  "Some hospitals shut down

nuclear medicine facilities because of the draconian

requirements for controling dose levels from sources

presumed safe inside a person's body are somehow

dangerous in urine disposal systems."  That is a broad

charge, and certainly one the plays well but may lack

truth. I certainly try to avoid exaggerated and untrue

statements since they reduce my credibility.

I think that your comments about Chernobyl have some

validity.  However, how does this compare to

evaluating an area after a spill of chlorine or toxic

gas?  What are the short and long term economic

impacts?  Do you think the 100,000 abortions is an

exaggeration parallel to the 50,000 deaths from

Chernobyl?

. . .

=====

-- John