Re: Iternat.transport regs - WHAT's 'low toxicity'?

Since the subject of this thread is, "INTERNATIONAL transport regs," [emphasis mine] I made the assumption that everyone would know that the IATA limits apply only to international shipments.  Domestic shipments are subject only to the DOT definition of 70 Bq/g.

Also:

1.  The consignment limit for natural Th is 10,000 Bq, not 1000 Bq.

2.  As more key transportation facilities, such as bridges and tunnels, install sensitive radiation detection systems, many shipments of NORM will be identified and inspected.

It's not about dose, it's about trust.
Curies forever.

Bill Lipton
liptonw@dteenergy.com

"Tsurikov, Nick" wrote:

Thanks, Bill - that’s most interesting.  If EITHER limit is exceeded…

I wonder – do trucks carrying fertiliser (or, things like water treatment sludge, phosphate, etc) in the USA have / will have ‘radioactive - low specific activity’ transport signs on them (as it is likely that the total activity would definitely be over 1000 Bq for U and/or Th)…?

Please let me know – I am very much intrigued by the possibilities…

Kind regards

Nick

EneabbaWestern Australia

http://eneabba.net/

P.S. THANKS EVERYBODY for the replies on the topic – I’ve worked it out now.