RE: Radon, smoking and LNT

Kjell,

I can not speak for others, but when I talk about the lung cancer health posed

by radon exposure, I primarily mean the health risk from the solid radon

progeny.

I have seen two studies that report that what you mentioned, but the studies

were funded by tobacco companies. I think it was Philip Morris.  There are also

other studies that suggest that smokers have greater mucous secretions that

attenuate the radon progeny alpha particle dose to the lung.  We also have the

polonium-210 dose to the lungs from the cigarettes to consider.

If I were to try to make a case that light smoking reduces the risk of radon

exposure, I would make it on the basis that the low temperatures that tobacco

burns at generates 100 to 300 nanometer particles. Radon decay products attach

to these larger cigarette generated particles and therefore have a much lower

lung deposition efficiency.  A similar effect can be seen with a gas stove in

the home that generates 20 nanometer particles.

In any case, the important issue is adequately adjusting for the smoking

induced lung cancers.  About 85% of the lung cancers are attributable to

smoking, so control of that variable is essential in an ecologic study.  It is

very difficult to adequately control for the smoking using surrogate county

smoking rates that do not factor in duration of smoking or intensity of

smoking.  The poor control of county smoking rates is the most likely

explanation of why the inverse association is also seen for other smoking

related cancers as pointed out by Dr. Puskin.

Bill Field