FULL COMMITTEE REPORTS FY 2004 ENERGY AND WATER DEVELOPMENT APPROPRIATIONS

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:

July 15, 2003

FULL COMMITTEE REPORTS FY 2004 ENERGY AND WATER DEVELOPMENT APPROPRIATIONS

"I am pleased to be able to present the first Energy and Water

Appropriations bill to the Subcommittee since assuming the Chairmanship

in January," Subcommittee Chairman David Hobson said. "I believe we have

crafted a responsible and bipartisan bill to improve the status of our

nation's energy and water resources. We are truly at a historic

crossroads in respects to both our energy needs and water resources, and

I think this bill will help us make a great deal of progress."

FUNDING LEVELS:

The Chairman's mark provides a total of $27.1 billion in new

discretionary spending authority for the U.S. Army Corps of

Engineers-Civil, the Department of Interior including the Bureau of

Reclamation, the Department of Energy, and several Independent Agencies.

This bill is $942 million above fiscal year 2003 and $134 million above

the President's budget request.

<snip>

DEPARTMENT OF ENERGY:

The recommendation of $22 billion for the Department of Energy is $147

million under the President's request and $1.2 billion above fiscal year

2003.

*  The chairman's mark includes $330 million for renewable energy

programs, $114 million below the budget request and $89 million below

fiscal year 2003. Much of this apparent reduction represents a transfer

to the new Office of Electricity Transmission and Distribution, as

recommended by the Secretary of Energy.

*  Nuclear energy programs are funded at $268 million, a decrease of

$9.1 million from the budget request and $8 million above fiscal year

2003. The Chairman's mark funds Nuclear Energy Plant Optimization (NEPO)

program at $4 million, the Nuclear Energy Research Initiative (NERI) at

$10 million, and nuclear energy technologies at $42.7 million. The

Chairman's mark also includes $2.5 million for the Nuclear Hydrogen

initiative and $58.5 million for the Advanced Fuel Cycle Initiative.

*  DOE science programs are funded at $3.48 billion, an increase of $169

million over the budget request and $219 million above fiscal year 2003.

High energy physics is funded at $748 million and nuclear physics at

$399.4 million, both $10 million over the request level. Biological and

environmental research is funded at $562 million, $62.5 million over the

request level. Funding for basic energy sciences is $1.0 billion, $8

million over the request, and includes full funding for the Spallation

Neutron Source. The Advanced Scientific Computing Research initiative is

funded at $213.5 million, an increase of $40 million over the request.

Fusion energy research is funded at $268.1 million, $10.8 million above

the request.

*  The Nuclear Waste Program continues to be one of the Chairman's

highest energy priorities. The Chairman's mark provides a total of $765

million for nuclear waste disposal, an increase of $174 million over the

budget request and $308 million more than fiscal year 2003. Additional

funds are provided to enable the Department to initiate repository

operations in 2010, with particular emphasis in developing a rail line

in Nevada that avoids the Las Vegas metropolitan area.

*  The Power Marketing Administrations are funded at $207.3 million, the

same as the President's request and $5.2 million above last year.

Reimbursable purchase power and wheeling activities are maintained at

the fiscal year 2003 levels.

*  The National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA), which includes

the nuclear weapons program, defense nuclear nonproliferation, naval

reactors and the office of the administrator, is funded at $8.5 billion,

an increase of $330.1 million over last year, and $326.4 million below

the budget request. Funding of $6.12 billion is provided for weapons

activities; $1.28 billion for defense nuclear nonproliferation programs;

$768.4 million for naval reactors; and $341.9 for the office of the

administrator.

*  Funding of $7.6 billion is provided for DOE environmental management

cleanup activities, $87.5 million less than the budget request and $213

million over last year. The Chairman's mark continues the strong

commitment to accelerate cleanup schedules at contaminated sites

throughout the country, thus reducing public health and safety risks as

well as total life-cycle cleanup costs.

<snip>

For the complete press release go to the House Appropriations web site

at: http://www.house.gov/appropriations/news/108_1/04ewfull.htm

--

Susan L. Gawarecki, Ph.D., Executive Director

Oak Ridge Reservation Local Oversight Committee

102 Robertsville Road, Suite B, Oak Ridge, TN 37830

Toll free 888-770-3073 ~ www.local-oversight.org