RE: Chernobyl thyroid doses ?

Thank you Franz.

I guess I should have explained that, first of all, Zbigniew Jaworowski is a

former head of UNSCEAR (as I recall) and, secondly, that the

multi-thousand-rem thyroid doses I was refering to were mentioned in some

papers published in scientific journals like Nature or Science (sorry, I

don't have the precise reference info).

I was not surprised to see those kinds of dose figures at the time, having

some idea of the ability of the thyroid gland to concentrate iodine,

particularly in persons with iodine-deficient diets (typical of the region).

Also, I was aware of the fact that a high dose to one small organ was much

less serious than the same dose to the whole body (which would have been

lethal to everyone receiving it).

All this to say that I remain puzzled by the extremely wide range of thyroid

doses reported.

I suspect that this may be due to a very wide range of doses having a small

average over the whole population -- which might possibly lead to some

unwarranted conclusions about thyroid cancer rates.

Either way, it would be greatly appreciated if someone familiar with the

situation could explain.

PS. I almost forgot -- happy July 4 to our colleagues south of the border !

Jaro