Re: AW: Chernobyl thyroid doses ?

With regard to Dr. Jaworowski assessment, researchers

that I have talked to beleve that there reported

increase of thyroid cancers in children around

Chernobyl is a real effect.  Granted, not all were due

to the Chernobyl fallout, but there is no doubt that

many are.

Part of this is based in itself on the incidence of

childhood cancers.  They are rare in children, which

is why the correlation stood out so profoundly.  For

information on age related thyroid in the U.S., see

the "Age Group,'Expanded' Race and Sex" link at

http://seer.cancer.gov/faststats/html/pre_thyro.html

It is expected that the juvenile thyroid is more

sensitive to radiation effects as is it is still

growing and actively supporting the growing child.  I

believe this was seen in children treated for ring

worms.  I would be hesitant to compare the exposure of

30 000 Swedes to iodine (adults treated for Graves'

disease?) to a similar number of children, or any of

the other incidence rates Dr. Jaworowski quotes.  It

would be expected that "occult" cancers developed late

in life, as that is when the "active" cancers are

diagnosed.  Also, a child with thyroid function

abnormalities would display significant developmental

problems.

While adults can be adequately treated with thyroid

homone raplacements continue to live a normal life, I

am not aware of any long term study of children.

--- Franz Schoenhofer <franz.schoenhofer@CHELLO.AT>

. . .

. . .

=====