Re: Senate Bill 1043

At 12:18 PM 7/11/03 -0700, John Jacobus wrote:

>If you review the bill, the issue is really about

>security of radioactive material and facilities.  That

>is why it is called "The Nuclear Infrastructure

>Security Act of 2003." .  My understanding is that the

>NRC is aware of this legislation, but does not want to

>take on any more responsibilities.

Dear Radsafers:

The Commissioners of NRC decided to go for ARM for reasons that have

nothing to do with national security.  The reasons are power, control, and

increased User Fees, I expect.  The Agreement States asked them not to but

they ignored the Agreement States and went ahead anyway.  They certainly

aren't out to fix any problems; there aren't any of which I am aware.  But

they will certainly make plenty, I'll bet, judging by their performance

with byproduct material.

As the security requirements of this bill are impossible to achieve, or at

least utterly impractical, the passage of this bill would mean that NRC

would be forced, by law, to go around shutting down its licensees and

losing all those User Fees as a result.  This is a little much, even for

the NRC.  This bill is bad law.  It should be defeated.

The Atomic Energy Act, as written at present, gives the NRC the right to

make appropriate (or inappropriate) security requirements.  Just look at

what NRC does in terms of locking lab doors or refrigerators just because

there is a microcurie of C-14- or H-3-whatever inside.  Can you imagine how

NRC will behave with this new law?

Ciao, Carol

Carol S. Marcus, Ph.D., M.D.

<csmarcus@ucla.edu>