Re: New Florida security system scans semi-trucks

Explosives, yes. I recall a demo over at the AGNS facility in South Carolina many years ago ... after JC shut them down (or should I say, didn't let them open?) and they had a contract to train guard dogs. Saw a German Shepherd hit on a few grams of C4 on a person. From what I've seen, the nose of a well-trained dog is 2-3 orders of magnitude more sensitive than the best instrumentation for explosives detection.

Radiation? No evidence that dogs (or any other mammals, to my understanding) can detect ionizing radiation via their senses.

My $.02 worth ...

Jim Hardeman

Jim_Hardeman@dnr.state.ga.us

>>> "Jerry Cohen" <jjcohen@PRODIGY.NET> 7/21/2003 12:36:32 >>>

Does anyone know of any scientific evidence indicating that dogs can  detect

explosives and/or radioactivity in luggage?  I have heard that they do not

actually have this ability, but as long as the bad guys think they do, use

of dogs can be effective.