Re: [Know_Nukes] Re: Rads/rems (formerly radiographer "overexposure")

Jim,

What I was saying (if I remember that far back) is

that critial exposures are usually evaluated as having

cutoff associated with such erythema, hemopoietic

syndrome, GI syndrome and neurological syndrome.  The

response manifest itselfs as an easily observable,

clinical response.   Certainly, cancer risks may

increase in those who receive high doses, but that is

not what you are concerned about.  However, are the

tissue weighting factors the same for high dose

exposures as low dose exposures?  Again, the only way

is to have a large number of people irradiated, but it

is so hard to get volunteers for high dose, whole body

irradiations.

I think it is interesting that the number of A-bomb

survivors with high exposures was really not that

large.  In fact the average exposure was only about

200 mSv,

http://www.rerf.or.jp/eigo/faqs/faqse.htm#faq11.  In

this case, I assume that mSv refers to the dose

equivalent and not the effective dose.  (Since the DE

and ED are both in Sv, this further adds to the

confusion.  That is why I like the rad or Gy.)

I hope I am helping and not further confusing the

issue.  On many issues, I am learning myself.

--- Jim Hoerner <jim_hoerner@hotmail.com> wrote:

> [...]

. . .

> Paul, thank you for this great information I was

> unaware of.  Can you or

> anyone else elaborate?  What does one do beyond 10

> Rad?  Are 200 Rad of

> gammas and neutrons equivalent?  I suspect not.

> John J., I read your post.  I am confused.  Not by

> what you wrote; but by

> the apparent contradiction that I see.  If health

> effects at low doses are

> extrapolated from high doses (~10 Rad and up), how

> can the Q factor not

> apply at high doses as well?

> Please help me to understand this.

. . .