From: "Kai Kaletsch" <eic@shaw.ca>

To: "maury" <maury@webtexas.com>; "Radiation Safety"

<radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu>

Sent: Monday, August 04, 2003 8:40 AM

Subject: Burden of Proof (Was: Detailed evidence fails to support man-made

climate change)

When we propose a new uranium mine, we look at the potential impacts on the

environment and people. We quantify the impact and describe our models so

that anyone can shoot holes in them. Then the government decides if we have

adequately modeled the impacts and if the economic benefits are worth it.

In the case of CO2, we know that it has certain physical properties which

could trap heat. Here is an industry that wants to increase the amount of

CO2 in the atmosphere. Clearly that industry must show that what they are

proposing is safe. To do that they have to run their own models and come up

with a quantitative prediction of the impact of their activities, including

error bars.

It is not enough to say that there is a flaw in someone else's model.

Kai