RE: First atomic bomb - 58 years ago today

The anticipated number of American casualties was very high.  In fact, I

read somewhere once that, in preparation for the invasion of the Japanese

homeland, a very large number of Purple Heart medals were ordered.  So many,

in fact, we continued to draw from that inventory at least through the end

of the Vietnam conflict.  Maybe we're still running on the 1945 inventory.

The book by Gar Alperovitz that describes his view of the decision to use

the bombs is a good read.  Comes across a little like an attempt at

revisionist history, though.  Maybe I'm just cynical.

Another amateur historian (who has to moonlight as an HP to support his

hobby),

Orville Cypret PE, CHP