Re: The "right" answer

John,

    When citing a reference to confirm a point you are trying to make, it is

a good idea to read it carefully to assure that it really says what you

think it says. My original inquiry (see below) related to whether there had

been any technical criticism of the data sources  or Biostatistical

methodology in the NWNS. Rather than finding fault, the Boice article you

cited actually praised this epidemiological study for its care, attention to

detail, and "high quality of research".

    The only problems Boice found with the study were no healthy worker

effect found,  limited data size, and  that generally the results did not

seem to agree with his preconceptions.  These are hardly criticisms, unless

one believes the researchers should have found things that simply were not

there. From the Boice review, I get the impression that Matinoski and her

coworkers did as well as possible with the  information available to them.

    Nonetheless, despite any shortcomings the NWNS  may have had, its

results are more than sufficient to cast serious doubt on use of LNT as a

basis for radiation exposure standards.

    The absolutely perfect epidemiological study  has yet to be performed.

                Jerry