First atomic bomb - 58 years ago today (Fred Haywood's comments)

FYI, these are Fred Haywood's comments.

-----Original Message-----

From: Fred_Haywood@URSCorp.com [mailto:Fred_Haywood@URSCorp.com]

Sent: Thursday, August 07, 2003 5:40 PM

To: NIXON, Grant (Kanata)

Subject: RE: First atomic bomb - 58 years ago today

Information shared here has been very interesting. For a decent discussion

on decisions about the targets in Japan, I refer you to "Now It Can Be

Told" by General Groves. There are individual chapters (say, 23, 24, 25)

about what made each city worthy of being a target. The whole discussion

brings back memories of listening to a recording of Churchill's address to

the U.S. Congress on December 26, 1941. My favorite part of that speech was

what he had to say about the Japanese warriors: "What kind of a people do

they think we are? Is it possible that they do not realize that we shall

never cease to persevere against them until they have been taught a lesson

which they and the world will never forget?" Based on the current interest

in this topic, sounds like Winnie was right.

Fred Haywood

______________________________

Fred Haywood

Principal Scientist

URS

1093 Commerce Park Drive, Ste. 100

Oak Ridge, TN 37830

Direct 865.220.8102

Fax 865.483.9061

fred_haywood@urscorp.com

                      "NIXON, Grant

                      (Kanata)"                     To:       Radiation

Safety <radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu>

                      <GNIXON@MDS.Nordion.co        cc:

                      m>                            Subject:  RE: First

atomic bomb - 58 years ago today

                      Sent by:

                      owner-radsafe@list.van

                      derbilt.edu

                      08/07/03 01:12 PM

                      Please respond to

                      "NIXON, Grant

                      (Kanata)"

I concede on the point of Nagasaki being deemed an important target - it

was

designated as an alternate, secondary target by General Spaatz days prior

the drop despite it having not even being assigned AA or even A target

status. This point was also made very clear by Rick Strickert.

I'm not sure about the ultimate fate of the leaflets - someone should clear

up this point with a reference to them. We note that the final terms

offered

to the Japanese in the Potsdam declaration on 26 July did not contain any

reference to the atom bomb but simply warned the Japanese of the

consequences of continued resistance. The Japanese had standing orders to

kill POWs if the overthrow of their positions was imminent. Given that, and

given the possibility of using POWs as human shields, it seems unlikely

that

leaflets were issued, at least not prior to the Hiroshima bombing.

Grant