X-ray of pregnant patients

Linda,

Having once done pelvimetries on patients in my rural GP office, I

second Jodi's comment:

 "RSO's involvement in the process of consenting patients who receive

diagnostic

radiological procedures could diminish the benefit of the procedure in

patient's eyes, lead to unnecessary anxiety, and perception of high

risk. I think that this is the last thing that expecting mom needs."

However, as I welcome pharmacists checking with me on dose, unususal

use, etc, (because we all can overlook something), I believe you will

find physicians always grateful for discrete double check, such as,

"Doctor, are there any of the routine views not likely to help with this

patient, so I can minimize the radiation dose?" We also are sensitized

to minimizing medicines and radiation in pregnancy.

Howard Long, family doctor