No Subject

Linda,

Several individuals provided you with excellent sources of information on the topic. The specific form in which such information is presented to patients depends on the radiation safety program you have in your institution.

However, it seems inappropriate and not within the scope of health physics profession to have an RSO obtain consent from a pregnant patient who is deemed by her physician to be in need of having an X-ray exam. If the exam is medically indicated, the physician takes full responsibility for the procedure and explanation of its risks to a patient. While well-intended, I am sure, RSO's involvement in the process of consenting patients who receive diagnostic radiological procedures could diminish the benefit of the procedure in patient's eyes, lead to unnecessary anxiety, and perception of high risk. I think that this is the last thing that expecting mom needs.

Jodi

Jodi Strzelczyk, Ph.D.

Associate Professor, Radiological Sciences

Unoversity of Colorado HSC