Re: Paducah CAB Board Resigns in Protest

August 18

	As a one-time member of the Sandia CAB I can corroborate virtually

everything Ruth Weiner has said so far.  (I didn't know Sandia employees

were once barred from CAB meetings.  That happened before I joined.)

	The anti-nuke member who assaulted Ruth's husband had shoved a measure

through the CAB to set up a sub-committee, to be chaired by her, to pick at

Sandia about the relatively small amount of rad waste buried in its

landfills.  (Actually, it was more like the CAB rubber-stamped the

measure.)  After the assualter was forced to resign, her husband came

waltzing in and took over the committee like he owned it.

	At the likely instigation of his ousted wife, the husband insisted that

the CAB spend $5000 to hire an "independent" contractor to evaluate

Sandia's Mixed Waste Landfill.  Only one candidate was given any serious

consideration, and he was known by this pair from their earlier anti-nuke

escapades in Alaska.  The CAB also rubber-stamped the hiring of this

contractor.  This was done after Sandia had already spent approximately a

year evaluating the Landfill and written a report on it that occupied some

two feet of shelf space.

	It goes without saying that this "independent" contractor's report was a

piece of trash, and when Sandia got ahold of his report its technical staff

destroyed it, and I mean they DESTROYED it.

	Ruth mentioned the local "alternative newspaper" that gave her husband a

hard time.  To its credit, this paper did print most or all of my letters

lambasting the "independent" contractor's report.

	The Sandia CAB may have actually had some modest amount of salutary

influence, but after the CAB got foul of these two anti-nukers we wasted a

lot of time on their silliness and disruptive behavior.

	It's a long and dreary story.  I have barely scratched the surface here.

Steven Dapra

sjd@swcp.com