Re: Paducah CAB Board Resigns in Protest

I received four responses on this.  Two also went to RadSafe complaining

  (justifiably) about the activists that dominate some SSABs, and being

dismissive of the process.  But I also received two replies not sent to

RadSafe noting that they have similar concerns to those of the resigning

Paducah CAB members.  Quoted below:

> I spent enough time in Paducah

> when I was with ORNL to not doubt these accusations one bit.

> I too have seen the DOE stonewall folks and it has always been

> the road to disaster (for DOE).

There is a lot of talk on RadSafe about the misperceptions and

irrational fears the public has about radiation.  You must engage people

openly and honestly (and sometimes it takes a long time) if you hope to

educate them about the facts and sway them to support your position.  To

write off a public advisory board because one or two activists tend to

dominate the process is counter productive.

At least in Oak Ridge the retired (and even some currently employed)

technical people care enough to get involved and bring their expertise

to bear on DOE issues (which occasionally exposes as nonsense what DOE

is trying to pass off as a reasonable decision).  You can make a

difference in your communities, too.

Susan

--

Susan L. Gawarecki, Ph.D., Executive Director

Oak Ridge Reservation Local Oversight Committee

102 Robertsville Road, Suite B, Oak Ridge, TN 37830

Toll free 888-770-3073 ~ www.local-oversight.org