Question re Radiolytic Breakdown of Plastics

Radsafers,

I have a question which some of you may be able to answer from your

experience.  We have recently had some discussions about the long-term

effects of radiation on plastic bags used in storage of cans of NpO2 ( can,

bag, outer can).  While I am aware of the issue of bags directly in contact

with alpha-emitting materials, I am wondering what impacts there may be from

the gamma activity?  Has this been quantified in any way?  Are there other

issues?

Thanks.

Bates Estabrooks

Mgr.; Facility Safety Operational Support

BWXT Y-12

Y-12 National Security Complex

Bldg. 9112/MS 8163

P.O. Box 2009