Re: Hormesis explains aging reversal chemicals

Wes,

What is interesting is that the same story published

in the Washington Post does not mention hormesis.  May

be it is part of the "conspiracy" to hide the truth

from the public?  But it appears that the underlying

response to enviromental stresses is really protein or

emzyme response.  Rather than subjecting the organism

to stresses to produce a hormesis effect, or

xenohormesis effect, we could just supply a protein or

enzyme and get the same benefit.

----------------------

Enzymes Found to Delay Aging Process

 By Rick Weiss

 Scientists have found for the first time a way to rev

up a potent "anti-aging" enzyme in living cells, an

advance they said could speed the development of drugs

to extend human life span and prevent a wide range of

geriatric diseases.

 To view the entire article, go to

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A39677-2003Aug24.html?referrer=emailarticle

(c) 2003 The Washington Post Company

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2003-08/hms-mdt081903.php

> A small extract is shown below:

> Calorie restriction (in mammals, reducing intake to

> 60 or 70 percent of the

> normal daily calories) may be one of many mild

> stresses that trigger

> beneficial effects, a phenomenon called hormesis. To

> explain their new

> findings, the researchers propose that plant

> polyphenols, which increase in

> response to stressful conditions, cue organisms to

> prepare for impending

> harsh conditions by switching to a more beneficial

> survival program. They

> call their hypothesis "xenohormesis."

> The most potent molecule in the study, resveratrol,

> helped yeast cells live

> as much as 60 to 80 percent longer, as measured by

> the number of

> generations. Other studies have linked resveratrol

> to health benefits in

> mitigating age-related diseases, including

> neurodegeneration, cancer and

> clogged arteries. In this study, researchers were

> surprised to find that

> yeast cells treated with small doses of resveratrol

> lived for an average of

> 38 generations, compared to 19 for the untreated

> yeast. The polyphenol

> worked through a known sirtuin molecular pathway to

> help yeast and human

> cells survive environmental stresses.

> Regards,

> Wes