Re: Doctors' knowledge of radiation exposure

Peter,

I think you may be correct in your assessment of how

much the "correct" dose plays into this issue.

Whether a chest AP is 0.02 or 0.04 or 0.10 mSv is

really a question of which set of data you use.  The

real issue is that physicians and technologist really

understand the procedures and resulting relative

exposures received.  Your example of exposures during

a leg arteriograms is a classic example of the

problem.

I have included technologist, because I am sure a quiz

of x-ray technologists would provide similar

disheartening results.  And they are usually the ones

the patients ask.  That is why I think it is useful to

post a list of exposures for the standard procedures

performed on each x-ray unit based on measurements

made on that machine.  It may not be patient specific,

but it is sure better that being caught flat-footed by

a patient.

I would add that I have always considered the exposure

values as guidelines, and not absolute values, e.g.,

"a chest x-ray is about 0.04 mSv."  As soon as you say

it is exactly such and such, your start moving from

stochastic to detetministic responses.  Medicine does

not deal in absolutes, and neither are the adverse

effects of such exposures.  It would be interesting to

survey patients about their chances of getting cancer

or heart disease.

By the way, how well do you think the physicians at

your facility do on this kind of survey?

. . .

=====

-- John

John Jacobus, MS