RE: Am sure I'm not alone, but Sobig virus is raging today

Hi Maury,

During my travels my work email received something on the order of 2000 copies of SoBig or notifications that our system anti-Virus software had deleted the virus package from a message.  I have received a few dozen today.

My understanding of how the worm works is that when it infects a machine it will go searching from email addresses.  When it finds one, it apparently both attempts to infect that machine and also uses that email address as a bogus return address on messages it send out carrying the worm payload.

So, if your email is found on an infected machine, you will both be attacked and messages will be sent out that make it look as if you are attacking other machines.

At this point, I think the best policy is to delete WITHOUT opening ANY message looking the least suspicious, particularly if it has an attachement.

Best regards.

Jim Dukelow

jim.dukelow@pnl.gov