[Fwd: RE: Sandia Security Concerns]

This is posted with the permission of the author.

Bill

-------- Original Message --------

From: "George J. Vargo" <vargo@physicist.net>

Subject: RE: Sandia Security Concerns

To: 'William V Lipton' <liptonw@DTEENERGY.COM>

Bill,

While NRC external regulation sounds good, the simple fact is that NRC

does

not have (or no longer has) expertise in many aspects of DOE operations

(e.g., accelerators, Pu facilities.)  Today's NRC is a lot smaller than

it

was, has virtually no capability in regulatory research (the Office of

Regulatory Research is a mere ghost of its past).  40% of current NRC

staff

are immediately eligible for retirement.  While those of us who may have

felt mistreated in some way by NRC in the past would cheer their

reversal of

fortunes, the current situation is pretty precarious for all involved.

smaller, weaker NRC is not necessarily good for the commercial nuclear

industry.  Assuming authority over DOE would simply require the hiring

of

hundreds or even thousands of current or former DOE contractors.  It

would

also divert NRC management resources from other activities such as power

reactor license renewal.

George J. Vargo, Ph.D., CHP

Senior Scientist

MJW Corporation