AW: Hanford Site cleanup standards

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----

Von: owner-radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu

[mailto:owner-radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu]Im Auftrag von Ted de Castro

Gesendet: Mittwoch, 27. August 2003 20:57

An: Jerry Cohen

Cc: Conklin, Al; 'Dukelow, James S Jr'; William V Lipton;

BLHamrick@AOL.COM; RuthWeiner@AOL.COM; radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu

Betreff: Re: Hanford Site cleanup standards

> This discussion leads me to wonder what would result, in terms of adverse

effects to humans and/or the

> environment, if no site cleanup activity were undertaken at Hanford.

Which brings us back to LNTH once again!  Until that issue is resolved -

legitimate and rational questions such as this cannot be answered.

I don't agree. This issue need not be resolved, before answering the

question which in my opinion is the only one justified in the discussion

about clean up levels. Could (different?) RADSAFErs comment on the

consequences of "no action", assuming the LNT valid, assuming it not to be

valid and assuming hormesis from the legacy of cold war.

In any reasonable evaluation of the necessity to remediate areas where

whatever problem could cause troubles and where actions are to be

considered(too much tourism, arsenic, wildlife destroying woods, nitrate in

groundwater, heavy metals leaking to aquifers etc.) there is always

considered as one alternative "no action". Why is this not done in the

Hanford case? Or has it been done and nobody wants to mention the results,

because they do not fit the political correct aspects?

Looking forward to a reply!

Franz