Re: Hanford Site cleanup standards

I think what you say goes to my point.  It is not the

risk value, per se, but how much we are willing (or

forced) to spend to avoid that risk.  There are

statistical risks of dying in a car, which I believe

is much higher that getting cancer from 25 mrem.  Yet

people take that risk of driving in a car.  Going back

to the driving analogy, would society be willing to

drive a 5 mph to reduce the death rate to nil?

In our society, regulations are enforced on the level

of risk, without any consideration about costs.  Until

the public recognizes the true costs, we are spinning

our wheels arguing about the LNTH.

=====

-- John

John Jacobus, MS