From: Doug Aitken [mailto:daitken@sugar-land.oilfield.slb.com]

Sent: Thursday, August 28, 2003 8:33 AM

To: Dukelow, James S Jr; William V Lipton; Conklin, Al

Cc: BLHamrick@AOL.COM; RuthWeiner@AOL.COM; radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu

Subject: RE: Hanford Site cleanup standards

As a newcomer, the following may well have been covered, and considered. So

please excuse an amateur entering into this debate....

But a point I have not seen raised is the risk involved in the clean-up

itself (of any site, to a given "safe" level). I imagine it would be

possible to do a risk analysis of the cleanup operation itself, based on

past experience.

And not just the radiological risk, but the overall risk of all cleanup and

storage operations (personal injuries, vehicular accidents, contamination

dispersion outside the site, etc.)

Obviously, it is necessary to remove the really bad stuff, but, at some

point, you get to (very) diminishing returns. And  the risks involved in

continuing the cleanup will outweigh the benefits, expense notwithstanding.

Somewhat analogous to the choice between removal of hard asbestos

insulation from a building or sealing it in place. Generally more risk is

involved in the cleanup than leaving everything as is (with suitable

sealing and maintenance).

But I guess that the forces that drive these cleanups (greenies, a

frightened, misinformed, public and, of course, the lawyers......) consider

the workers who do the cleanup as "expendables" .....

Doug Aitken		Schlumberger Drilling and Measurements QHSE

Advisor

Phone (Sugarland):   	281 285-8009

Phone (Home office): 	713 797-0919

Phone (Cell): 		713 562-8585

Principal E-mail: jdaitken@earthlink.net

Schlumberger E-mail: daitken@sugar-land.oilfield.slb.com

Mail: 	300 Schlumberger Drive MD2, Room 111

	Sugar Land, TX 77478

Doug Aitken makes an important point.

Over the past 15-20 years or so, it has been impossible to get out of DOE clear regulatory guidance on the trade-off between public risk reductions from cleanup and worker risk increases due to the same cleanup activities.  The situation may have changed in the last 2-3 years, but I am not aware of any such changes.

For all analyses I have seen, at the actual levels of residual risk to the public, the increase on occupational risk due to cleanup was an order of magnitude of more greater than the reduction in public risk.

Best regards.

Jim Dukelow

Pacific Northwest National Laboratory

Richland, WA

jim.dukelow@pnl.gov

These comments are mine and have not been reviewed and/or approved by my management or by the U.S. Department of Energy.